The new school year is just around the corner. Read over this school readiness checklist to start crossing t’s and dotting i’s.
Everyone wants to look their best on the first day of school. Make sure you consider your school’s Dress Code (including backpacks allowed) before upping your child’s personality to the max.
- New Clothes
- Backpacks – Backpacks take a beating during the year, so make sure they are going to be reliable for another year. It’s hard to find a cool backpack during off-session.
Filling a clothes hanger with a set of clothes for everyday of the week will save precious time in the mornings. Putting shoes where your child can find them will save tears, as well. The more organized you can get, the smoother your school year will be.
- Clothes Hangers
- Shoe Buckets
- Buy/Order School Supplies
- Plug in your child’s school calendar into your calendar.
- Program ‘School Day’ Alarms
- Look up Bus Routes
Minimize absences by scheduling appointments before school starts. If you are unsure about when to get your child immunized, here is what the CDC recommends : 0-18 yrs Schedule.
- Physicals & Athletic Forms (if needed)
- Dental Check-ups
- Adjust bedtimes and breakfast (so waking up early won’t be a shock or a chore)
- Dust off that band instrument (etc.)
- Read books about kids getting ready for the first day of school
- Have you children help you sort and pack supplies into their backpack
- Ask your child what they want to learn this year
- Review math facts and spelling words (phone numbers, etc.)
Most schools encourage you to Meet the Teacher (and drop of school supplies while you’re at it), so keep an eye out for your school’s announcements for the day and time.
A couple more things to put on your School Readiness Checklist:
- Plan First Day of School Snacks (lunches, etc.)
- Find a “BooHoo Breakfast” that will comfort you as you send your babies off into the world. Some Elementary schools host them, but I’ve seen flyers at restaurants such as La Madeleine too.
Last, but not least, enjoy the rest of your summer vacation with your kids. Cram in those last few things on your Summer Bucket List, and enjoy looking forward to a new school year together.
Did I forget something?!? Let me know & Comment below!!